Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Blessing of Ava: A Birth Story


In the last hours of Mother's Day I lay on the couch trying to get comfortable and rest after a day of celebrating all of the mom's in our family.
My family, so kindly, came to our house so that we didn't have to travel and could stay close to home that day.
That night I put the kids to bed and said goodbye to my husband as he headed off to work for the night. 
It wasn't long before I was woken up every eight minutes by contractions that wouldn't quit.
This was the fifth time I had had false labor so while this felt like the real deal, I didn't want to get my hopes up that it was false labor again.
 I figured that it had to eventually be the real deal, right?
Five days past my due date and all I wanted was to meet our baby girl.
So, after an hour of continuous contractions, I called my husband to come home, called my sister to come to stay with the kids, and hopped in the shower. 
We arrived at the hospital around 3 am and I was dilated 5 cm!
It was the real deal! Yay! Finally she was on her way!
I put some Peace and Calming essential oil on and we were moved to a birthing room.
Once we were settled I put on my ipod and sailed through contractions while listening to my hypno-birthing meditations.
Things progressed quickly and I believe that it was about 7 cm my water broke during a contraction. 
Things got serious at this point.
With every contraction I could feel her moving down getting closer and closer as the pain intensified. 
I know when I started to think that I should have opted for the epidural that it was time.
She was coming and all I could think was, 
"Ok, I don't want to do this anymore. I am ready to go home now." LOL
(Like that was even an option.)
This time was amazing! My body started pushing her out all on it's own!
As I was pushing I could hear that her heart rate was dropping every time I had a contraction.
I was calm and not concerned because I knew that she was almost out.
And then...
She was here!
The cord was wrapped around her neck, hence the drops in heart rate, but her cord was easily removed.
She also had a true knot in her cord just like her brother, Evan did which is very rare.
She was placed on my chest and suctioned and finally took her first breath,
and WE cried, her and I.
We cried our first cries together.
 Her as my babe and I as her mother.
She was here...and alive...and she was mine.
She was perfect.
A small part of my brokenness was healed in that moment and I realized that life could go on
and be celebrated.
We have been loving on her ever since and plan to do so for the rest of our lives.
We are very blessed.

"I will not cause pain without allowing something new to be be born."
Isaiah 66:9

















 "After every storm there is a rainbow of hope...here I am."
Our rainbow baby.

"And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be a the sign of the covenant between me and the earth.Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kin d on the earth." 
"So God said to Noah, "This is the sign of the covenant I have established between me and all life on the earth."
Genesis 9: 12-17

No comments:

Post a Comment